Vaginal Dysplasia

Question

I had a total hysterectomy several years ago. I recently had a Pap smear that returned with HGSIL, yet I do not have a cervix. All of the information I find on the web discusses treatment modalities for cervical HGSIL, but not if located in the vaginal vault. Can you tell me what I can possibly expect for further diagnosis and treatments?

Answer

Unfortunately, women without a cervix may still suffer from dysplasia of the vagina.

The evaluation is generally the same; high-grade findings on a Pap test require a colposcopic examination of the vulva, with biopsies of abnormal areas. Biopsies verifying the presence of high-grade dysplasia may require treatment. In general, treatment options for vaginal dysplasia include excision (sometimes called upper vaginectomy), laser, or treatment with Effudex (a topical chemotherapy agent).

Homeopathy: What You Should Know

Ovarian Cancer DNA Detected in Vaginal Fluid

Preliminary finding may bring doctors one step closer to test for disease in early stages

Long-Term Cervical/Vaginal CA, Death Risk Up With Treated CIN3

Jan 17, 2014

Women previously treated for CIN3 have long-term elevated risk of invasive cancer and mortality

0.4 percent of 6- to 9-mm polyps detected by CTC in study had high-grade dysplasia; none malignant

Jul 5, 2010

From the National Cancer Institute