Atypical Hyperplasia

Question

I had a partial laparoscopic hysterectomy in November 2006 (only my uterus was removed). After the surgery was done, it was discovered that I had complex atypical hyperplasia. I have since heard that a total abdominal hysterectomy is usually preferred in this case to ensure that none of the endometrial cells are left on other organs. My understanding is that complex atypical hyperplasia is actually precancerous and only 30% actually becomes cancerous if untreated. Is there risk of any of these cells remaining and developing into other forms of cancer on the remaining organs?

Answer

While one of the typical treatments for complex hyperplasia is removal of the ovaries as well as the uterus, depending on your age, retaining your ovaries may be an appropriate option. If your uterus was removed and there was no evidence of cancer, there is no significant risk for having abnormal endometrial cells on your ovaries that might later develop into cancer.

Similar Risks for Atypical Ductal, Lobular Hyperplasia

Feb 3, 2014

Similar behavior in terms of breast cancer end points over 12.5 years of follow-up

Fertility-Sparing Tx Feasible in Early Endometrial Cancer

High rates of regression; encouraging live birth rate in EC, atypical complex hyperplasia

Risks, Management of Atypical Hyperplasia of Breast Discussed

Jan 1, 2015

Considerations for women with atypical hyperplasia include screening, chemoprevention