How do I Find a Certified Lymphedema Therapist?

Last Modified: October 29, 2006


Dear OncoLink "Ask The Experts,"

My physician has recommended treatment from a lymphedema specialist. How can I make sure the person is qualified?


Linda McGrath Boyle PT, DPT CLT-LANA, Cancer Rehab Specialist and OncoLink Lymphedema Team Editor, responds:

Lymphedema can be effectively treated by certified lymphedema therapists (CLT). Certified lymphedema therapists can be physical therapists, occupational therapists, physicians, chiropractors, nurses, or massage therapists who have undergone specialized training. There are several schools that educate certified lymphedema therapists in the United States. Unfortunately, there are also some therapists who call themselves lymphedema therapists but have not actually attended and successfully graduated from one of these nationally recognized two-week, 128-hour programs.

The national competency examination for certified lymphedema therapists is given by the Lymphedema Association of North America (LANA). When certified lymphedema therapists successfully pass this national examination, they may use the initials CLT-LANA behind their name.

If you need to find a qualified lymphedema therapist in your area, you can consult the websites below. These schools train qualified certified lymphedema therapists (CLT). Lymphedema therapists with CLT-LANA following their name have passed a national standardized examination.

Klose Training

Norton School

Vodder School

Another helpful website for persons with lymphedema is the National Lymphedema Network. Here persons with lymphedema can find reliable information about lymphedema.

National Lymphedema Network


I wish u knew... Nutrition During Cancer Treatment
by Timothy J. Hampshire
December 03, 2012

Cancer Center Advertising: Doing More Harm Than Good?
by Rodney Warner, JD
July 21, 2016