Who should I see about chemotherapy for my prostate cancer?

Question

Answer

Carolyn Vachani RN, MSN, AOCN, OncoLink's Nurse Educator, responds:

Chemotherapy is managed by a doctor called a medical oncologist. These doctors are trained in the administration of chemotherapy and managing of related side effects. You can find a medical oncologist through your urologist or your family physician as they can recommend a medical oncologist who they trust and have a working relationship. This recommendation is typically based on both their own experience and the experience of patients that they have referred in the past.

ASCO-GU: Prostate Cancer Prevention Talk Advised

Jul 25, 2014 - Healthy men should talk to their doctors about taking a 5-alpha reductase inhibitor (5-ARI) to reduce their risk of prostate cancer, according to a joint guideline published online Feb. 24 in the Journal of Clinical Oncology by the American Society of Clinical Oncology and the American Urological Association, and released to coincide with the American Society of Clinical Oncology's Genitourinary Cancers Symposium held Feb. 26 to 28 in Orlando. The guidelines will also appear in the March issue of the Journal of Urology.

Understanding prostate cancer screening