Therapy for Appendiceal Cancer

Last Modified: October 28, 2007

Question

Answer

Weijing Sun, MD, Assistant Professor of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania, the Director of Upper GI and Pancreatic-biliary-hepatic Cancer Group and the Associate Director of the GI Cancer Program, responds:

There is no particular chemotherapy regimen for appendiceal cancers. In clinical practice, we typically apply the regimens for colon cancer to appendiceal cancers. These include some combination of fluorouracil (5-FU), leucovorin (which is not a chemotherapy drug per se, but a form of folic acid that is used to make the fluorouracil more effective), oxaliplatin, irinotecan, and capecitabine.