Risk of Lymphedema with TAH/BSO & Lymphadenectomy

Question

What is the risk of lymphedema following a complete lymphadenectomy accompanying TAH BSO? How well documented, prospectively, is the occurrence of lymphedema in this patient population?

Answer

The incidence of lymphedema following pelvic lymph node sampling and hysterectomy for treatment of endometrial cancer varies from about 2% to 11%, according to retrospective studies. The incidence likely varies depending on how much lymphatic tissue was removed.

See this previous question about lower extremity lymphedema.

Postoperative Radiation May Be Beneficial in Vulvar Cancer

Dec 21, 2014 - In patients with groin node-positive vulvar cancer who have undergone radical vulvectomy and inguinal lymphadenectomy, postoperative radiation is associated with a significantly lower rate of cancer-related death than postoperative pelvic node resection, according to a study in the September issue of Obstetrics & Gynecology.