Glioblastoma multiforme

Question

My grandfather was diagnosed with Glioblastoma multiforme last August. He had as much of the tumor removed as possible. I am researching possible treatments to prolong his life. He’s been on radiation and chemotherapy. His oncologists have stopped chemotherapy and all other treatments. I’m confident that they haven’t considered MAb425 treatment. Is this something to be considered?

Answer

Robert Lustig MD FACR, Clinical Associate Professor, Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Pennsylvania, responds:

If the chemotherapy was stopped due to progression of tumor, then further investigational treatment can be delivered. There are at least 20-30 different agents being tested. Based on published data to date, the combination of Avastin (a vascular endothelial growth factor inhibitor, or VEGF inhibitor) and Irinotecan (a chemotherapy drug) has the best results. If the chemotherapy was stopped due to completion of planned therapy, then he should be scanned every 2 months as surveillance, and treated again if/ when the tumor returns.

Novel Gene Therapy for Brain Tumor Nears Clinical Trial

Apr 26, 2015 - A novel gene therapy for glioblastoma multiforme utilizing a combination of adenoviral vectors and the drug ganciclovir is nearing clinical trial with the discovery of a biomarker to gauge tumor response to the treatment, according to a study reported in the July 1 issue of Clinical Cancer Research.