Adenocarcinoma in Situ of the Cervix

Question

My sister recently had a cold conization of the cervix after colposcopy.  The pathology report results are adenocarcinoma in situ from 3 to 6 pm, 6 to 9 pm and 9 to 12.  It says the margins are less than 1 mm.   The endocervix had one fragment of adenocarcinoma in situ. She tells me the plan is a hysterectomy in 6 weeks.  Are other tests warranted for staging work up?  Is a hysterectomy all she needs for adenocarcinoma in situ?

Answer

At this point, the diagnosis is adenocarcinoma in situ, which has no potential for distant spread. Thus, no further evaluation is needed prior to hysterectomy. It is very likely that the final pathology report from the hysterectomy will show nothing worse than adenocarcinoma in situ, and that will be the end of the problem, as it will have been removed entirely with the surgery.

Cervical Procedure May Double Risk of Preterm Birth

Aug 28, 2014 - Women who undergo loop electrosurgical excision of the cervix, a procedure widely used for the treatment of cervical intraepithelial neoplasia, face a doubled risk of spontaneous singleton preterm delivery, according to a study published in the July issue of the American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology.