Follow up for follicular lymphoma

Question

I have follicular lymphoma, stage 2, in my abdomen with no symptoms. What is the protocol for follow up cat scan tests? I am scheduled for CT tests every 3 mo of my chest/abdomen/pelvis. I am concerned about the radiation risk.

Answer

Babis (Charalambos) Andreadis, MD, MSCE, Assistant clinical professor of medicine at the University of California at San Francisco and a member of the Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center at UCSF, responds:

There is no formal protocol for follow-up. Different centers follow different schedules, but this sounds appropriate. It is the physician’s responsibility to use CT scans as needed and after establishing a tempo of disease progression to increase the time intervals between scans. When used responsibly, the scans have a radiation risk that is small compared to the risk of missing disease progression.

Don't Assume You Understand

Bortezomib Combo Effective in Advanced Follicular Lymphoma

Bortezomib, bendamustine, rituximab combo active for patients with relapsed follicular lymphoma

Drug Improves Survival in Follicular Lymphoma Patients

Rituximab maintenance effective in patients with relapsed or refractory disease

Watch & Wait OK in Low-Tumor Burden Follicular Lymphoma

Sep 26, 2012

Compared with rituximab, an initial watch-and-wait strategy is not detrimental in select patients