Testing Pre-Mastectomy

Question

I will have a double mastectomy next week. Someone told me I should get a bone density test and a range of motion (for arms) test. Is that correct?

Answer

Kathryn Schmitz, PhD, MPH, cancer rehabilitation researcher at the Abramson Cancer Center of the University of Pennsylvania, responds:

I would very much agree that it is a good idea to get a physical therapy evaluation prior to your surgery. This should, in my opinion, be standard of care for ALL breast cancer patients. Getting a bone density would be ideal, but likely not covered by insurance unless you are over 50. A referral to PT should be covered pretty much universally. If you can be seen by a certified lymphatic therapist, that would be great. To find one in your area, go to www.lymphnet.org. This will really assist that therapist with knowing how you have changed as a result of surgery. It may also help with planning radiation therapy if you have and range of motion limitations.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series, Life After Breast Cancer Webchat. View the entire transcript here.

Breaking news: Supreme Court votes to uphold Affordable Care Act Subsidies

Bone mineral density test followed by selective alendronate found to improve resource use

Pre-Op Genetic Testing Impacts Surgical Choice in Breast Cancer

Jun 24, 2014

Majority of BRCA mutation carriers opted for different surgery than initially planned by surgeon

BRCA+ Women Receptive to Prophylactic Mastectomy

Jul 6, 2015

Many BRCA-positive women say prophylactic mastectomy is the only way to reduce worry