Checking Blood Counts During Radiation

John Christodouleas, MD

Question

Is it normal to undergo radiation treatment 15 of them with out any follow up blood work during those treatments?

Answer

John Christodouleas, MD, Radiation Oncologist and Assistant Professor at the University of Pennsylvania, responds:

Whether or not to get blood work during a short course of radiation treatment depends on the size of the radiation field, location of the field and whether concurrent therapy is given at the same time. If the field is large, includes a large portion of the spine or pelvis (where blood is made) or given with chemotherapy, then I do check blood work during or soon after treatment. Most cases of short course radiation (3 weeks counts as short course) do not require blood work to be checked during therapy.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series, Lung Cancer Q&A Webchat. View the entire Lung Cancer Q&A transcript.

Azacitidine Treatment Effective in Previously Untreated AML

Jul 26, 2011 - Azacitidine may be an effective treatment for acute myeloid leukemia in elderly patients, especially those who have not undergone any previous treatments and those with a white blood cell count of <10 × 109/L, according to a study published online July 14 in Cancer.