Treatment Recommendations By Age?

Question

Treatment recommendations for prostate cancer (of similar grades) seem to vary by age. Is that due to otherwise differing life expectancies or because the cancer cells are expected to grow faster the younger one is? Some other reason? (I am a recently diagnosed 55 yr old with a low-grade cancer).

Answer

Alan J. Wein, MD, Professor and Chair of the Division of Urology at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, responds:

There are three things that should affect your decision for management preference. The first is the Gleason score and stage (extent) of the disease. The second is your life expectancy without the disease and your overall medical health. The third is your willingness to accept the risks of whatever management strategy you choose. My feeling is that is if your life expectancy without the prostate cancer is 10 to 12 years or less you would be as well off (or maybe better off) with radiation therapy than surgery. This is because the survival rate is basically the same up to 8 to 10 years after treatment with both modalities.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. See the full transcript of Prostate cancer treatment: where are we now?

ACOG recommends cytology screening start at age 21 regardless of the onset of sexual activity

Jul 23, 2010 - Although prior recommendations of major societies advised cervical cytology screening in adolescents based on onset of vaginal intercourse, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists now recommends that screening begin at age 21, regardless of sexual activity, due to the rarity of cervical cancer in women under 21. These recommendations have been published in the August issue of Obstetrics & Gynecology.