Robotic Versus Open Prostatectomy

Question

I am deciding between regular prostatectomy and robotic version. What do you see as the pros and cons in making this decision?

Answer

Daniel Eun MD, Director of Robotic and Minimally Invasive Urologic Oncology and Reconstruction at PENN Urology at Pennsylvania Hospital, responds:

I always tell patients that regardless of what modality you choose, find a surgeon who is experienced and who does a lot of that procedure. This is such a technical operation that is often tied in with quality of life issues as well as cancer control issues, the surgeon's experience and technique is very important. Generally speaking, if you find a good surgeon, most people will have a good outcome. I think advantages of robotics will come down to less incision/pain, faster time to hospital discharge/recovery, faster time till catheter comes out. Advantages for open prostatectomy is that the surgeon has better tactile feel since their finger is literally on the prostate. The rest of the issues (continence, potency, margins, cancer control) are very surgeon and patient dependent and a continued point of debate amongst open and robotic surgeons.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. See the full transcript of Prostate cancer treatment: where are we now?

Fewer Positive Margins With Robot-Assisted Prostatectomy

Mar 7, 2014

Robot-assisted radical prostatectomy also tied to less use of additional cancer therapy

Similar Outcomes for Robotic, Laparoscopic Prostatectomy

Apr 17, 2013

Findings based on urologic, sexual functioning at 36 months of follow-up

Similar Oncologic Efficacy for Robotic, Open Cystectomy

Dec 24, 2012

Robotic approach has similar oncologic efficacy, potential benefit in perioperative outcomes