Finding Counseling Support

Question

I am having difficulty dealing with the devastation breast cancer has brought to my life. I have been referred to several therapists who did not have any experience working with people after a cancer diagnosis. Where can I turn?

Answer

Tracy Lautenbach, MSW, LCSW, Social Worker in the Radiation Oncology Department at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, responds:

The following is a listing of organizations that have trained psychosocial oncology professionals that provide therapy/counseling for people after a cancer diagnosis:

Cancer Care

Cancer Hope Network

AOSW

APOS- The American Psychosocial Society

LIVESTRONG

You can also contact your local cancer treatment facility to inquire about psychosocial support. Mostly every cancer center has a counseling service for oncology patients.

About life with cancer