Protection After Melanoma

Question

How do I protect myself against the sun if I already had skin cancer?

Answer

Rachel Woods, BSN, RN, Nurse in Moh's micrographic surgery at Penn Medicine, responds:

Sun safety is always a concern. Think of sunscreen as your last line of defense. Cover up with clothing as much as possible and seek shade in prime hours (10am - 2pm). UPF clothing is a fantastic option. Hats with wide brims, sunglasses, and long sleeves/pants are best for coverage.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series: Sun Safety and Skin Cancer Prevention Webchat. View the entire transcript on Sun Safety.

Aspirin May Protect Against Cancer

Sep 15, 2014 - People who take aspirin for vascular protection have less incidence of cancer, but only after 10 years of taking the drug, indicating that it may have a protective effect against cancer, according to a review published online March 27 in The Lancet.