Toddlers & Sun Screen

Question

My pre-schooler spends a bit of time on the playground in the spring. I don't send her to school wearing sunscreen. Should I?

Answer

Rachel Woods, BSN, RN, Nurse in Mohs micrographic surgery at Penn Medicine, responds:

It is recommended that sunscreen use begins as early as 6 months of age. For children there are many challenges to that. An easy solution is to cover them up with UPF clothing. You take away the problems of application errors, mess, and reapplication concerns while the children are not with you. UPF clothing is highly breathable and comfortable in summertime weather.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series: Sun Safety and Skin Cancer Prevention Webchat. View the entire transcript on Sun Safety.

Breaking news: Supreme Court votes to uphold Affordable Care Act Subsidies

Minority patients more willing than whites to expend their financial resources to prolong life

Apr 27, 2011

Magnetic resonance imaging not considered a good use of resources in study group of patients

Feb 15, 2010

Sun Damage to Skin Can Continue After Dark

Feb 24, 2015

Chemiexcitation is a slow process; "an evening-after" sunscreen possible prevention