CAM For Hot Flashes

Question

I was thrown into menopause by my cancer treatment- Is there anything to treat or help with these hot flashes that isn’t a medication?

Answer

Jun Mao, MD, MSCE, Family Medicine and Community Health Physician and Acupuncturist at PENN Medicine, responds:

Many of the cancer treatments (chemotherapy, surgery) can induce premature menopause. The hormonal treatments (e.g. tamoxifen aromatase inhibitors) may also worsen the experience for hot flashes. There are a number of studies that show acupuncture seem to produce similar effects on hot flash reduction as medications such as effexor. The beneficial effects seem to persist for months beyond the last acupuncture treatment. We are currently conducting a trial here at PENN to evaluate the short and long term effects of acupuncture for hot flashes in breast cancer survivors.

There is also some promising data suggest hypnosis and yoga may help hot flashes.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. See the full transcript from IntegrativeTherapies in Cancer Care.

In Celebration of Eric Ott
August 17, 2015

Pregabalin Can Reduce Hot Flash Frequency and Severity

Study finds drug as effective as gabapentin and some newer antidepressants

Venlafaxine, Clonidine Reduce Hot Flashes in Breast Cancer

Sep 14, 2011

Immediate reduction in hot flash scores with venlafaxine; lower week 12 scores with clonidine

Acupuncture Beats Pills for Hot Flashes in Breast CA Survivors

Even 'sham' acupuncture beat one frequently used medication

From the National Cancer Institute