Foods To Prevent Nausea

OncoLink Cancer FAQ

Are there any foods or supplements that can relieve nausea from chemo?

OncoLink Cancer FAQ

Debra DeMille, MS, RD, CSO, Dietician at the Joan Karnell Cancer Center at Pennsylvania Hospital, responds:

Anti nausea medicines have greatly improved and I highly recommend those. In addition, stay well hydrated, and you may try ginger products such as ginger tea. There is good evidence for the use of ginger to help alleviate nausea. I do like the natural products first, but some do use the supplement. It is important to check with your physician however, as there may be some blood thinning effects.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. See full archive of IntegrativeTherapies in Cancer Care.

Is Ayurveda the Answer to Women’s Health Issues?

FDA Approves Varubi for Chemo-Induced Nausea, Vomiting

Sep 4, 2015

For prevention of the delayed phase of nausea, vomiting caused by chemotherapy

Agency says injected dolasetron mesylate should not be used to prevent chemotherapy nausea, vomiting

Dec 20, 2010

FDA: Akynzeo Approved for Chemo-Related Nausea/Vomiting

Akynzeo contains new anti-nausea drug, netupitant, and previously approved palonosetron