Massage Therapist Get Special Training To Work With Cancer Patients?

OncoLink Cancer FAQ

Can a massage therapist obtain special training to work with cancer patients?

OncoLink Cancer FAQ

Wayne Mylin, Dipl. ABT (NCCAOM), AOBTA-CP is an Asian Bodywork Therapist specializing in Shiatsu and Acupressure at Pennsylvania Hospital, responds:

There are some massage schools that provide 'certificate' programs to work with cancer patients - but not many and there is always the question of the quality of those training programs. More often, good training comes in the form of workshops, seminars, and mentoring with therapists and teachers that have significant hands-on experience in working with cancer patients. I advise finding a good mentor/teacher or checking out the actual experience of the instructors of 'certificate' programs.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. See full archive of IntegrativeTherapies in Cancer Care.

Medical Resident Skin Cancer Exam Training Evaluated

Apr 17, 2014 - Medical students and residents do not get consistent access to training in how to conduct a skin cancer examination, and need more education on how to look for skin cancer during routine medical examinations, according to a study published in the October issue of the Archives of Dermatology.