See a PT After Surgery to Prevent Lymphedema?

OncoLink Cancer FAQ

Should I see a physical therapist after cancer surgery to prevent lymphedema?

OncoLink Cancer FAQ

Andrea Richtel-Branas, MSE, MPT, Lead Therapist, Good Shepherd Penn Partners, responds:

A physical therapist can help to educate you on your risk for lymphedema. At this time we do not know how to prevent lymphedema - but we do know ways to minimize your risk. You should talk to your doctor about getting a referral to a qualified lymphedema threrapist.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. See full archive of IntegrativeTherapies in Cancer Care.

Lymphedema Burden High After Breast Cancer

Dec 18, 2014 - Within two years after breast cancer treatment, a significant number of patients develop lymphedema, resulting in a greater risk of complications and increased treatment costs, according to a study published online March 16 in the Journal of Clinical Oncology.