Finding A Music Therapist

OncoLink Cancer FAQ

Is there a website where I can find a reputable music therapist in my area?

OncoLink Cancer FAQ

Tony Meadows PhD MT-BC FAMI LPC is Director of Music Therapy at Immaculata University and Music Therapist at the Joan Karnell Cancer Center at Pennsylvania Hospital, responds:

You should always look for the MT-BC designation - Board Certified Music Therapist. This means the music therapist has completed a 4 1/2 year degree program from an approved college/university. You can search for a music therapist in your area through www.cbmt.org. There is also a website for the American Music Therapy Association - www.musictherapy.org

Music therapy training can also be undertaken at the Masters and PhD level, so you should look for advanced training in the field, in addition to the MT-BC designation, when looking for someone in your area.

Learn more in Tony's article about guided imagery & music therapy!

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. See full archive of IntegrativeTherapies in Cancer Care.

Is Ayurveda the Answer to Women’s Health Issues?