Helping Kids Deal With a Parent's Diagnosis

OncoLink Cancer FAQ

Where can I go to get help for my kids in dealing with a parent's cancer?

OncoLink Cancer FAQ

Christina Bach, MSW, LCSW, OSW-C, Oncology Social Worker at the Abramson Cancer Center at Penn Presbyterian, responds:

Kids Konnected is a great place to start; as well as the American Cancer Society and CancerCare. All these organizations offer great resources.

Also, be sure to talk with your kids' school administrators, counselors and teachers about your diagnosis. Often kids show subtle behavior changes that teachers can pick up on. Its helpful that folks who have regular interaction with your children are aware that they are dealing with an added stressor that can impact their actions and behaviors.

There are also plenty of books written by and/or for children of all age levels.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the transcript from Finding the Cancer Resources You Need.

My Cancer Experience