What is Standard Course of Herceptin

The University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing

Question

Please comment on the Finnish protocol of giving 9 weekly administrations of Herceptin versus the 18 - three-weekly administrations that are currently done in the US.

Answer

Kevin Fox, MD, Medical Oncologist at Penn , responds:

The Finnish protocol treated a very small number of women, I believe fewer than 200. All of the other studies treated close to 10000 women with one year of herceptin. Although interesting, the weight of current evidence still favors a year of herceptin due to a larger sample of patients. Studies are being done to evaluate shorter courses of herceptin, but one year of treatment must still be considered standard.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat. Series, View the Life After Breast Cancer transcript.

Benefits of yoga during cancer treatment