Mammogram After Breast Cancer Treatment?

The University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing

Question

Do I still need to get a mammogram after breast cancer treatment? If so, how often?

Answer

Kevin Fox, MD, Medical Oncologist at Penn , responds:

If you have had breast conservation surgery for your breast cancer, then mammograms once per year are recommended. If you had a single mastectomy, with or without reconstruction, the opposite breast should still be screened with annual mammogram. Of course, if you have had a double mastectomy, with or without reconstruction, then there is no need for a mammogram.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat. Series, View the Life After Breast Cancer transcript.

Screening with Mammography: Looking at the Controversy