Pregnancy and Breast Cancer

The University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing

Question

Does pregnancy make you more likely to develop breast cancer? I have been hearing more and more about women who find out they have breast cancer when they are pregnant.

Answer

Kevin Fox, MD, Medical Oncologist at Penn , responds:

Pregnancy does not increase the risk of getting breast cancer. Women do get breast cancer during pregnancy, but it is actually quite uncommon, and you need not be concerned.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat. Series, View the Life After Breast Cancer transcript.

Pregnancy Can Mean Delayed Breast Cancer Diagnosis

Apr 25, 2015 - Although pregnancy may conceal breast cancer in younger women and lead to a delay in diagnosis, evaluation and treatment, pregnancy-associated breast cancers are not associated with a worse outcome compared to non-pregnancy-associated breast cancers, according to research published online Feb. 9 in Cancer.

The Controversy of Screening