Intimacy After Cervical Cancer

Question

Can I still be intimate with my partner after radiation for cervical cancer?

Answer

Nicole Ross, RN, MSN, OCN - Radiation Oncology Nurse at Penn Medicine, responds:

YES! You can still be intimate with your partner after radiation for cervical cancer. During the first few weeks after radiation, the vagina can have changes that may make sexual activity painful. You can expect to resume sexual activity about 3-4 weeks after completing radiation. Being sexually active can prevent scar tissue or adhesions that may form in the vagina. Your doctor may also recommend the use of a vaginal dilator a few times per week to prevent vaginal stenosis.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the entire Focus on Gynecologic Cancers transcript.

FDA Approves Avastin for Late-Stage Cervical Cancer

Aug 18, 2014 - The anti-cancer drug Avastin (bevacizumab) has been newly approved to treat aggressive and late-stage cervical cancer, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration said in a news release. The new approval is for use in combination with other anti-cancer drugs, including paclitaxel, cisplatin, and topotecan.