Intimacy After Cervical Cancer

Question

Can I still be intimate with my partner after radiation for cervical cancer?

Answer

Nicole Ross, RN, MSN, OCN - Radiation Oncology Nurse at Penn Medicine, responds:

YES! You can still be intimate with your partner after radiation for cervical cancer. During the first few weeks after radiation, the vagina can have changes that may make sexual activity painful. You can expect to resume sexual activity about 3-4 weeks after completing radiation. Being sexually active can prevent scar tissue or adhesions that may form in the vagina. Your doctor may also recommend the use of a vaginal dilator a few times per week to prevent vaginal stenosis.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the entire Focus on Gynecologic Cancers transcript.

In Celebration of Eric Ott
August 17, 2015

Human Papillomavirus Load Linked to Cervical Cytology

Linked to cytology severity in women who do not develop cervical intraepithelial neoplasia

Psychosocial Phone Counseling Aids Cervical Cancer Survivors

Mar 12, 2015

Improvements in depression; lasting improvement in gynecologic and cancer-specific concerns

Guidelines Stretch Interval for Cervical Cancer Screening

Cytology testing recommended every three to five years; co-testing for HPV starting at age 30