Family History Of Breast Cancer On Father's Side

Abramson Cancer Center of the University of Pennsylvania

Question

Does family history of breast cancer on my father's side put me at risk for cancer?

Answer

Jill Stopher, MS, Certified Genetic Counselor at Penn Medicine, responds:

Even though breast cancer mostly affects women, risk for breast cancer can be passed down from both your mother and your father's side of the family. There are a number of different genetic conditions that can predispose to breast cancer, so knowing the details of your mother's and father's side can help sort out what your personal risk may be for breast cancer, and whether special screening or possibly genetic testing may be helpful for your family. We all get half our genes from our mother, and half our genes from our father - so yes, father's side definitely counts.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the entire Focus on Gynecologic Cancers transcript.

Review Explores Link Between Family History and Cancer Risk

Jul 29, 2013 - A review of family cancer histories indicates that several potential cancer syndromes exist among close relatives, possibly indicating the presence of genetic factors influencing multiple cancer sites, according to research published online July 24 in the Annals of Oncology.

Benefits of yoga during cancer treatment