Pancreatic Cancer and Genetics

Question

My mother recently passed away at the age of 49 after a 4-week battle with pancreatic cancer. I have read that certain types of pancreatic cancer can be genetic. What should my family watch out for?

Ursina Teitelbaum, MD, Medical Oncologist at Penn Medicine responds:

There are familial cancer syndromes that can increase one's risk of cancer, including pancreatic cancer. It is hard to say in this particular case but I think important to find out the rest of your mother's family history, especially other family members with breast, pancreas or other GI cancers. You might ask her oncologist or your internist if you should be referred for specialized cancer risk assessment to find out if you or your siblings have increased risk.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the entire transcript from the Focus on Pancreatic Cancer Webchat.

AACR: Biomarker Panel Beats CA 19-9 for ID'ing Pancreatic Cancer

May 21, 2014 - A panel of three biomarkers together with CA 19-9 is better than CA 19-9 alone for diagnosing early-stage pancreatic cancer. These findings were presented at the American Association for Cancer Research's special conference on Pancreatic Cancer: Innovations in Research and Treatment, held from May 18 to 21 in New Orleans.

Pancreatic Cancer & Family History