Finding Support for Kids During Cancer Treatment

Question

How can I help my kids deal with their dad's illness? Some say to keep things as normal as you can, but I feel nothing is "normal" anymore.

Answer

Christina Bach, Oncology Social Worker at Penn Medicine responds:

I know it is really hard to maintain normalcy after a cancer diagnosis---especially with your children. I talk to my patients a great deal about recognizing and understanding the concept of a "new normal--" i.e. what life WITH cancer (and treatment and uncertainty and anxiety) may look like.

Its important to help your children express their emotions about what is happening with their dad; but also to allow them to continue to be children.

You can get great resources about kids coping with cancer:

It also may be very helpful to connect with other patients with kids who are going through similar issues.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the entire transcript from the Focus on Pancreatic Cancer Webchat.

Is Ayurveda the Answer to Women’s Health Issues?

Oral Microflora Tied to Chronic Pancreatitis, Pancreatic Cancer

Salivary microflora potential biomarker for pancreatic cancer, chronic pancreatitis

Enoxaparin Prevents VTEs in Advanced Pancreatic Cancer

Enoxaparin effective for preventing VTEs with no adverse effect on major bleeding, chemo efficacy

Less Aggressive Guidelines Issued for Pancreatic Cysts

Mar 30, 2015

Guidelines recommend surveillance for low-risk cysts, discontinuation after no change for five years