Cancer Treatment and Workplace Disclosure

Question

Do I have to notify my employer about my cancer diagnosis? I am worried about losing my job.

Christina Bach, Oncology Social Worker at Penn Medicine responds:

You are not legally obligated to inform your employer of your cancer diagnosis.

If you are applying for FMLA coverage (which protects your job for up to 12 weeks), you will need to supply medical verification of your diagnosis and treatment to human resources; however, your direct boss or co-workers are not informed about your medical diagnosis. It is YOUR decision to disclose your cancer diagnosis.

For more great information about working with or after cancer diagnosis and treatment I recommend two great resources

You should also talk with human resources about your options for applying for disability through your employer as well as how to maintain your health insurance coverage through COBRA.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the entire transcript from the Focus on GI Cancers webchat.

Homeopathy: What You Should Know

Oral Microflora Tied to Chronic Pancreatitis, Pancreatic Cancer

Salivary microflora potential biomarker for pancreatic cancer, chronic pancreatitis

Enoxaparin Prevents VTEs in Advanced Pancreatic Cancer

Enoxaparin effective for preventing VTEs with no adverse effect on major bleeding, chemo efficacy

Less Aggressive Guidelines Issued for Pancreatic Cysts

Mar 30, 2015

Guidelines recommend surveillance for low-risk cysts, discontinuation after no change for five years