Follow Up & Monitoring for Recurrence

Question

If I had surgery to remove my thyroid and cancer, can it come back? How will my doctor know if my thyroid cancer comes back after I finished all my treatments/procedures and things seem ok?

Answer

Rachel Kelz, MD, MSCE, at Penn Medicine responds,

Thyroid cancer recurs in 25% of people. The likelihood for recurrence depends of the specific characteristics of the tumor and the patient. There are several staging systems that can help predict the likelihood of recurrence. You should have regularly scheduled appointments with your endocrinologist. The exact testing required will be determined by your blood test results and usually a high resolution neck ultrasound.

This question and answer was part of OncoLink's Brown Bag Web Chat Series. View the entire transcript of Focus on Thyroid Cancer.

Simplified Method Has Value for Prognosis in Thyroid Cancer

Jul 3, 2015

Quantified alternative to conventional system compared well to other methods for differentiated cancer

Renal and Thyroid Cancers on the Rise in U.S. Children

Sep 9, 2014

Study also finds increase in overall cancer rate among African-American children and adolescents

Radiation Exposure Affects Course of Thyroid Cancer

Jul 3, 2015

Chart review shows association between exposure, aggressive disease, and poor outcomes