Iodine and Iodized Salt and Cancer Risk

Question

Is it better to have a diet with or without iodine products to prevent thyroid cancer? Does using iodized salt increase your risk of cancer?

Answer

Kolin Hoff, MD, Endocrinologist at Penn Medicine responds,

Iodine deficiency increases the risk of goiter but does not increase the risk of cancer. Nodular goiters have about a 5% or less risk of cancer. Using iodized salt does not increase your risk of cancer.

This question and answer was part of OncoLink's Brown Bag Web Chat Series. View the entire transcript of Focus on Thyroid Cancer.

Supplements Can Contain Excess Iodine

Apr 18, 2014 - Some over-the-counter supplements contain high levels of iodine that may interfere with radioiodine treatment in patients with thyroid cancer, according to a case study published in the Jan. 22 issue of the New England Journal of Medicine.