Thyroid Hormone Dosing

Question

In the last 12 months, I have gone from 125 micrograms up to 200 micrograms. Now I take 150 micrograms 4 days per week and 175 micros 3 days. Won't this adversly affect my bones? What is a comfortable dose and how can I tell if I am being "over treated"?

Answer

Kolin Hoff, MD, Endocrinologist at Penn Medicine responds:

Usually if a patient is free of thyroid cancer for several years the TSH can be brought into the low end of normal to mid normal. Regulating the TSH can at time be difficult it is important to be on a steady dose for 6 week between TSH checks and to take the dose regularly and to be sure you are not taking any interfering substances when you take the thyroid hormone like iron, calcium, soy. Sometimes changing brands helps and sometime patients need to be checked for malabsorption.

This question and answer was part of OncoLink's Brown Bag Web Chat Series. View the entire transcript of Focus on Thyroid Cancer.

In Celebration of Eric Ott
August 17, 2015

Radiation Dose Predicts Growth Hormone Deficit

Nov 3, 2011

For children with brain tumors, dose, time after irradiation predicts growth hormone deficiency

Renal and Thyroid Cancers on the Rise in U.S. Children

Sep 9, 2014

Study also finds increase in overall cancer rate among African-American children and adolescents

Radiation Exposure Affects Course of Thyroid Cancer

Chart review shows association between exposure, aggressive disease, and poor outcomes