Thyroid Cancer Awareness

My friend was just diagnosed with thyroid cancer. How can I help raise awareness about the disease?

Michelle LeBeau, Thyroid Cancer Survivor and Founder of REACT Thyroid Foundation responds:

I think it's great that you are inspired to help create awareness for thyroid cancer. There are lots of ways to help but one idea could be hosting a small event in which you distribute information about symptoms and early detection. ThyCa ( is great about sending free materials for this sort of thing.

There are many organizations that are committed to raising awareness about thyroid cancer and raising money for research. You could reach out to any of them to try and join their efforts. A few that you could look at are: ThyCa (; Light of Life Foundation (; REACT Thyroid Foundation ( to name a few.

This question and answer was part of OncoLink's Brown Bag Web Chat Series. View the entire transcript of Focus on Thyroid Cancer.

My Cancer Experience

Renal and Thyroid Cancers on the Rise in U.S. Children

Sep 9, 2014

Study also finds increase in overall cancer rate among African-American children and adolescents

Radiation Exposure Affects Course of Thyroid Cancer

Chart review shows association between exposure, aggressive disease, and poor outcomes

ENDO: Breast Cancer Linked to Higher Risk of Thyroid Cancer

Mar 10, 2015

Increased risk seen particularly within five years of breast cancer diagnosis

From the National Cancer Institute