RAI Restrictions With Children

Question

My cancer has to be treated with radioactive iodine. Does this mean I will be radioactive? Is this dangerous? What precautions should I take if I have small grandchildren in the house?

Answer

Kolin Hoff, MD, Endocrinologist at Penn Medicine responds:

After taking radioiodine you will excrete the radiation for the next several days to weeks. In most cases we suggest avoiding close contact with other people for about 5 days after treatment. pregnant women and young children are most at risk so it is advised not to share eating or drinking utensils with other people, sleep alone, avoid kissing or intimate contact. The risk of radiation need to be balanced against the risk of malignancy. The risks precautions need to be explained to you in detail by your endocrinologist and nuclear medicine doctor.

This question and answer was part of OncoLink's Brown Bag Web Chat Series. View the entire transcript of Focus on Thyroid Cancer.

Exposure to Tobacco Smoke Higher in Children With Asthma

Aug 9, 2013 - From 1999 to 2010, environmental tobacco smoke exposure decreased for children without asthma, but did not change among children with asthma, according to a report published online Aug. 8 by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's National Center for Health Statistics.