Diagnosing a Lump on a Dog

Question

I noticed a lump on my dog's abdomen. I am concerned it could be a tumor, but I am worried about opening a can of worms by finding out. I just don't have the money to have all sorts of tests and treatments. But I feel like I should do something.

Erika Krick, VMD, DACVIM Veterinary Medical Oncologist, University of Pennsylvania, responds:

Answer

You could start by bringing your dog to the veterinarian to find out what tests and potential treatments would be recommended. If the lump is not cancerous then just a needle sample of it may be all that would be recommended. It depends on if you want to have the information to make decisions.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the entire transcript from When a Beloved Pet has Cancer.

Sniffer Dogs May Be Used to Detect Lung Cancer

The dogs correctly identified lung cancer, independent of other disease or tobacco smoke

Short-Term Follow-Up Enough for Some Benign Breast Lumps

Biopsy not always needed for young women's lesions with benign imaging features

ACS: Dog Cancer Therapy Success May Extend to Humans

Experimental 'Trojan horse' drug enters cancer cells through B12 receptors