Where to Get Veterinary Oncology Care

Veterinary Oncology Care
Last Modified: September 17, 2012


Do I have to go to a specialty center like the University of PA to get treatment for my dog's cancer or is that something all vets do?

Lili Duda, VMD, MBE, DACVR Veterinary Radiation Oncologist- University of Pennsylvania, responds:


The best place to start with your pet is your primary care veterinarian. They know your pet best, and can do many of the initial tests needed to diagnose and evaluate the stage of cancer. Once a diagnosis of cancer is suspected or confirmed, consultation with a board-certified veterinary specialist is recommended. For simple cases, your primary care veterinarian may be able to obtain consultations via phone or e-mail. For more complicated cases, an in-office consultation may be needed. There are specialists in medical oncology (chemotherapy), radiation oncology, surgery, and dentistry/oral surgery. There are many on-line resources to locate a specialist in your area.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the entire transcript from When a Beloved Pet has Cancer.


7 Tips for Giving Smart on #givingtuesday
by Christina Bach, MSW, LCSW, OSW-C
November 25, 2015

Related News

Where You Live May Impact Use of Unnecessary Imaging

Mar 16, 2015

Doctors tend to order more imaging technologies in the Northeast, researchers found

Agent Orange Tied to MGUS in Vietnam Vets

Nov 29, 2015

Exposed veterans have higher rates of monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance

Perception of Breast Cancer Care Differs From Actual Care Quality

Apr 12, 2012

Study focuses on women from inner cities with newly diagnosed, early-stage breast cancer