Mast Cell Tumors in Dogs

Question

My dog had a lump biopsied yesterday. My vet thinks it is a mast cell tumor. What can you tell me about mast cell cancers?

Erika Krick, VMD, DACVIM Veterinary Medical Oncologist, University of Pennsylvania, responds:

Answer

The behavior of mast cell tumors can be quite varied. Often staging is recommended after the diagnosis is made, and the recommended treatment depends on the staging results, size of the tumor, and other factors. I recommend that you discuss these options with your veternainarian or make an appointment with a veterinary oncologist.

Learn more about mast cell tumors in dogs.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the entire transcript from When a Beloved Pet has Cancer.

ACS: Dog Cancer Therapy Success May Extend to Humans

Jul 30, 2014 - A new compound that delivers cancer-killing nitric oxide molecules via vitamin B12 receptors on cancer cells dramatically reduced the size of tumors in three dogs and could point the way for research in treating human cancers too, according to a case study presented at the American Chemical Society's 237th National Meeting, held March 22 to 26 in Salt Lake City.