Euthanasia at Home

Question

Can my pet be euthanized at home?

Christina Bach, Oncology Social Worker at Penn Medicine, responds:

The availability of in home euthanasia varies state to state based on laws and regulations. You should talk with your veterinarian if this is an option for you (if he/she can provide this or if he/she knows someone who does). There is also an online directory at http://inhomepeteuthanasia.com/index.php?option=com_sobi2&catid=39&Itemid=44

In home euthanasia can be especially helpful with animals who have phobias and anxieties associated with going to the veterinarian. It can also help the owner maintain some control over the process.

You will need to talk with the provider about disposition of the body (will the provider take the body, will the body be cremated) as well as costs involved with providing this procedure in the home.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the entire transcript from When a Beloved Pet has Cancer.

Is Ayurveda the Answer to Women’s Health Issues?

Bone Marrow Biopsy Adds Little to PET/CT Staging of Hodgkin's

Nov 15, 2012

Absence of positive bone marrow biopsy for patients with PET/CT-assessed stage I, II disease

Benefit Seen from Pet-Focused Smoking Education

Sep 2, 2015

Educational information on dangers of secondhand smoke to pets useful for pet owners

PET-CT Rarely Impacts Surgical Management of CRC Metastases

Use of PET-CT versus CT has little impact for patients with potentially resectable hepatic mets