Chemoembolization for Liver Metastases

Question

How does chemoembolization work for liver disease? What are the requirements to be eligible for this?

Answer

Ginna Deitrick, CRNP, MSN, Nurse Practitioner for Interventional Radiology at Penn Medicine responds.

Chemoembolization (TACE) works by directly treating the tumors within the liver via the hepatic artery with an infusion of concentrated chemotherapy and then blockade of the blood supply with "beads" at the level of the supplying vessel to the tumor. Eligibility requirements include relatively normal liver tests, CBCs, electrolytes, and a recent Triple Phase CT scan or MRI, as well as relatively normal functional status (ability to care for oneself without restrictions).

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the entire transcript from the Focus on Neuroendocrine Tumors Webchat.