Use of Octreoscan in Neuroendocrine Tumor Diagnose and Treatment

Question

How is octreoscan used in the diagnosis of NETs? Is it also used to monitor response during treatment?

Answer

Nevena Damjanov, MD, Medical Oncologist at Penn Medicine responds.

The OcteroScan is used to evaluate the full extent of spread of a tumor that is likely to have octreotide receptors on its surface. Some people have NE tumors that are not seen on an OctreoScan, and some tumors are not visible because the patient is taking octreotide (Sandostatin). OctreoScans are most useful in identifying new sites of NET disease, or disease that is not visible by other imaging studies (such as disease in the small bowel that is difficult to appreciate on a CT scan). They are not always as useful in monitoring tumor response (it may be difficult to measure the exact size of the tumor).

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the entire transcript from the Focus on Neuroendocrine Tumors Webchat.