Dealing With Life During the Stress of a New Diagnosis

Question

My sister was just diagnosed last week. It's like a whirlwind. Looking for ways to coordinate life for her (kids, house), manage appts. And just helping her through it all.

Answer

Linda Miller, RN, BSN, Oncology Nurse Navigator at Penn Medicine responds:

The American cancer society has a great website that offers different resources. The social worker who works with your team can also be a helpful resource to utilize regarding various community resources. Often your church community offers additional support as well. If financially able there are home care helper agencies that may be of assistance. First step; meet with your cancer center social worker for advice.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. View the entire transcript from the Focus on Lung Cancer Webchat.

What is Photodynamic Therapy and how is it used in cancer care?