Cancer Caused By Exposures At Work

Question:

I think my cancer was caused by exposure to chemicals at work. What can I do about it?

Answer:

Rodney N. Warner, Staff Attorney at The Legal Clinic for the Disabled, Staff Attorney at The Legal Clinic for the Disabled, responds:

If it is a work related exposure, you would fall under your state�s workers� compensation system. The burden would be on you to prove your illness was work related, contracted in the course of your employment. This may be very difficult to do, depending on the type of cancer you have, what chemicals there are at work, what medical evidence there is linking the chemical to your type of cancer. You�d need to consult with an attorney experienced with workers compensation, as laws vary from state to state.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series, Legal & Financial Challenges Facing People with Cancer. View the entire transcript here.

Brown Bag Chat: Cancer Survivorship

Brown Bag Chat: Legal & Financial Challenges Facing People with Cancer
April 7, 2010

#