Chemo Brain

Question:

I have had problems paying attention and remembering things. I have heard the term "chemobrain", but I dont know what to do about it. Some people say it is real. Some people say it is not. Anyway, I have sure felt it. Any recommendations on things that can help?

Answer:

Carolyn Vachani RN, MSN, AOCN, OncoLink's Nurse Educator, responds:

Chemobrain is absolutely real! Studies have found conflicting results, but ask any survivor and they will tell you it is real. I have a few good references for you:

An article called Living with ChemoBrain and a book dealing with the topic called Your Brain After Chemo.

There is not a whole lot of research into chemobrain yet, but I expect to see much more in the coming years. Researchers are looking at cognitive rehab programs, which were traditionally used for stroke patients, brain �exercise�, medications and more.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series, Understanding Breast Cancer Supportive Care Issues View the entire transcript.

CancerLand Bookshelf: Chief Complaint: Brain Tumor
March 6, 2013

Congratulations! You’ve got cancer!
by Rodney Warner, JD
January 22, 2010

#