Is Massage Ok With Lymphoma

Question:

Can I still get massage if I have lymphoma? Won't it spread the cancer?

Answer:

Wayne Mylin, Dipl. ABT (NCCAOM), AOBTA-CP is an Asian Bodywork Therapist specializing in Shiatsu and Acupressure at Pennsylvania Hospital , responds:

Yes, it is ok to get a massage if you have lymphoma. You will want to find a massage therapist that has experience in working with cancer patients - and you may want to avoid more aggressive forms of massage such as deep tissue massage - but it is generally agreed on that there is no concern of spreading cancer with massage. Keep in mind, oncologists recommend regular exercise and movement, which is going to increase circulation as much, if not more, than a typical massage.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. See full archive of IntegrativeTherapies in Cancer Care.

Integrative Therapies in Cancer Care – Brown Bag Chat

Oncology Massage: Supporting Cancer Patients

#