Massage Therapist Get Special Training To Work With Cancer Patients?

Question:

Can a massage therapist obtain special training to work with cancer patients?

Answer:

Wayne Mylin, Dipl. ABT (NCCAOM), AOBTA-CP is an Asian Bodywork Therapist specializing in Shiatsu and Acupressure at Pennsylvania Hospital , responds:

There are some massage schools that provide 'certificate' programs to work with cancer patients - but not many and there is always the question of the quality of those training programs. More often, good training comes in the form of workshops, seminars, and mentoring with therapists and teachers that have significant hands-on experience in working with cancer patients. I advise finding a good mentor/teacher or checking out the actual experience of the instructors of 'certificate' programs.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series. See full archive of IntegrativeTherapies in Cancer Care.

Oncology Massage: Supporting Cancer Patients

Brown Bag Chat: Integrating Complementary Therapy Into Your Cancer Care
December 29, 2010

#