SPF of a T-Shirt

Question:

Does a t-shirt (long sleeve) block the sun's rays?

Answer:

Carolyn Vachani RN, MSN, AOCN, OncoLink's Nurse Educator, responds:

Studies on the sun protection offered by summer clothing found that almost half provided less than the equivalent of an SPF of 30. A typical white t-shirt has a sun protection factor around 7, and this drops to about 3 when it is wet. Darker colored clothing and those garments with tighter weave provide more protection. The more worn or stretched out a garment becomes, the less SPF it offers. All of these variables make it difficult for people to assess the protection of clothing, so a system was developed to test and certify the sun protection of fabrics. Read more about clothing with SPF.

This question and answer was part of the OncoLink Brown Bag Chat Series: Sun Safety and Skin Cancer Prevention Webchat (view the entire transcript).

I wish u knew… Skin cancer 101
by Timothy J. Hampshire
January 28, 2013

#