Taking AIs Beyond 5 Years

Question:

After bilateral mastectomies had chemo and radiation and then 3 years of Tamoxifen and will complete 5 years of Armidex in April. My oncologist says he will take me off Arimidex at that time although I am doing well on it and desire to continue taking it. Have you had any experience with women taking an aromatase inhibitor past the 5 years recommendation at this time? Are there ongoing clinical trials regarding this? Certainly other women must have the same concerns.

Answer:

Kevin R. Fox, MD, Assistant Director, Clinical Affairs and Associate Professor of Hematology/Oncology at the Abramson Cancer Center of the University of Pennsylvania, responds:

We do not recommend extending arimidex beyond five years. We have no information on safety or efficacy of the drug after five years- and there are known risks to AIs. Clinical trials regarding longer durations of therapy have been done and we are awaiting these results (an extension of the MA17 study). In the meantime, we recommend discontinuation after five years.

My Journey to Becoming an Oncology Nurse
by Karen Arnold-Korzeniowski, BSN, RN

Teaching and Being Taught: Lessons Learned by an Oncology Nurse
by Karen Arnold-Korzeniowski, BSN, RN

#