"Cereport" Treatment for Astrocytoma

Jane Alavi, MD and Jim Dattilo

Question:

My uncle was diagnosed as having a malignant astrocytoma brain tumor. His physician suggested researching "cereport" treatment. We have been unable to access any information on this therapy. Can you please explain this treatment and where we may find additional information? Also, are you aware of any other new or alternative treatments for this condition?
Thank you so much for your help.
SV

Answer:

Jane Alavi, MD and Jim Dattilo from the Brain Tumor Center at Abramson Cancer Center of the University of Pennsylvania respond:

One of the greatest obstacles in using chemotherapy is in drugs crossing the "blood brain barrier" - the protective filter of the brain that selectively controls what goes into the brain. The new drug, Cereport, is designed to temporarily open the "blood brain barrier" to allow drugs, such as chemotherapy, to enter the brain, and in turn give a better effect on treating the tumor. While Cereport has shown some promise in the laboratory and is now being tested in humans, it is still an investigational treatment and not widely available. We would recommend that you ask your physician to contact Alkermes, Inc, the drug manufacturer, to find out about clinical trials that are available for malignant astrocytoma.

February 29th is Rare Disease Day
February 26, 2016

Being OK with Brain Cancer

#